Is your ceiling leaking and you aren’t sure why? The most common reasons for ceiling leaks are due to plumbing and roof leaks. Leaks due to plumbing are usually caused by bathtubs, showers, or toilets that have damages. Roofing leaks can occur for many reasons which include cracked flashing, broken shingles, improperly sealed valleys, cracked roof vents, clogged gutters, and even condensation in your attic. While plumbing and roof leaks are the most typical reasons for a leak in your ceiling, a leaking roof is probably the answer to why you are experiencing roof leaks. A very common question is “Are roof leaks common?” and the answer is that they can be depending on various roofing factors. If you have an old roof, have a shallow roof slope, avoid doing any roof maintenance, have clogged gutters, missing shingles, or other issues with your roof, it’s more likely that you will have roof leaks more often. It’s important that when you have a leak in your roof you are able to find it and repair it as soon as possible. Roof leaks can cause a lot of issues to your roof and also your home, so getting them repaired quickly is key. To learn more, we have compiled a list of how to find a roof leak, how to stop a leak, as well as go over insurance coverage.
How Do I Find a Leak in My Roof?
Knowing how to find a leak in your roof is going to help you perform roof leak repair in the proper place. But what does a roof leak look like? Typically a water leak will look like a huge stain on your ceiling, dripping coming from the ceiling, or water spots on your home’s exterior walls. Can roof leak cause mold? The answer is yes and it will be another identifier for when you are trying to figure out if you have a roof leak.
Just because you see a wet spot on your ceiling doesn’t mean the leak is coming from that particular place. A good way to know if it’s a roof leak or plumbing leak is that a roof leak will stop once a storm has come and gone; a plumbing leak is consistent regardless of the weather. You have to inspect your roof correctly to determine where the leak actually is. There are a couple of things you want to do in order to find the leak in your roof.
- Check Your Attic: You will want a flashlight with you when looking in your attic. You want to will look for areas where you see the sun shining through, as well as water stains and trails of water.
- Inspect Roof Exterior: On your roof’s exterior, you will want to check the following areas: valleys, flashing, plumbing vents, shingles, chimney, and gutters. You will want to see if there are any damages to these parts of your roof.
If you are experiencing a leaking roof, the best way to determine where it is located is to look in your attic and on the exterior of your roof. If you are unable to find the source, you can always rely on a licensed roofer.
How Do I Stop My Roof From Leaking?
Many people who have a roof leak always want to know is a roof leak an emergency? Depending on the severity of the leak is going to depend on if it needs emergency roof repair service. If your home is flooding due to a leak or you have to put down a ton of buckets to catch leaks, then it’s safe to say that its an emergency that cannot wait. If the roof leak doesn’t seem too major, you can attempt to fix roof leak on your own. Following these steps, you can prevent your leak from becoming worse until a professional roofer can fix the leak.
- A Tarp: This will require you to get on your roofing systems. What you will want to do is get a big tarp and cover the area where the leak is. Using duct tape or something stronger, you will want to tie the tarp down. The tarp should be able to stop water from entering your home further.
- Roof Cement: If you have tiny holes or cracks in your roofing, the best way to stop leaks from happening is to use roofing cement. Using a caulk, putty knife, or trowel, you will place the cement of the holes and cracks that are causing the leaks.
- Roof Tape: If you are interested in getting on your roof, roof tape might be the way to go. Roof tape gives you the ability to seal any type of leak by applying it to your roof decking.
- Temporary Shingles: If you have thin pieces of wood, metal, or some other sturdy material that you can cut into the shape of your roofing material, you can nail them down to the areas where your roof shingles are letting water in.
The surest way to stop a leaking roof is to get help from a roofing contractor. They can locate where the leak is and repair it good as new.
Is a Leaking Roof Covered By Insurance?
Is a roof leak covered by insurance? It depends. Insurance companies will usually pay for the cost of repairs if its a “covered peril.” What that means is that if your roof is damaged due to hail, a try falling over on the roof because of severe winds, or it catches on fire, they will more than likely cover the damage. However, if the roof leak is caused due to lack of maintenance, the age of the roof, or wear or tear, your insurance company can deny your claim. If you have a leak due to a covered peril, then you should be okay. To a file a claim to get your roof leak covered and repaired, you will want to do the following things.
- Be familiar with your roof coverage policy.
- You will need to inspect your roof for damage.
- Take pictures, videos, and write down other details about damages for your roof insurance company.
- Once you have gone over your roof coverage policy, inspected your roof, and have the necessary documentation, it’s important to call your roof insurance provider.
- Hire a roofer that you trust to inspect your roof and provide your insurance with the estimate of damages.
Other things you will probably need if you have a leaking roof is getting structural drying for your property. This will prevent mold from growing in your home and ensure everything is dry. If you are needing Rockwall, TX emergency roof repair, call Trake Construction Management, LLC at (972) 922-2422 today!